Shambhala Scholarships enables further study to improve your business leadership skills
Gaypreneur? LGBT Business owner wanting to build your business by studying further? Want to study further, part-time or full time, to improve your business management skills?
LGBT business professional wanting to study further to improve your career prospects? Or are you a future LGBT business leader?
Applications are now open for scholarships for LGBT leaders (and future leaders) who wish to study further. There are about ten (up to) R25,000 scholarships available for studies in 2017. LGBT people from all fields of study and at all levels (undergrad, post-grad or part-time) are invited to apply.
The scholarships help proud LGBT individuals build their foundation for business success. Scholarships are awarded to LGBT leaders to further their studies to help them improve their performance in the business world. To become role models in the LGBT business community.
How many scholarships are there?
Six scholarships were awarded for the 2015 academic year and 11 for the 2016 academic year.
There are about ten (up to) R 25, 000 (Twenty five thousand rand) scholarships available for the 2017 academic year.
How do we choose recipients?
The scholarships are available for undergrad, post-grad or part time studies where the chosen field of study will help the candidate to improve their business leadership skills. There are no set rules about the study and the students are to motivate why their chosen field of study fits with the scholarship objectives.
Students who demonstrate leadership, with the best motivation and greatest potential will gain preference during the selection process.
The committee will be looking at the following criteria:
- Leadership qualities,
- Reasons for the choice of studies,
- Contribution to the LGBT community,
- Ability to achieve great things, and
- Benefit to The Shambhala Organisation.
Why the community service?
Pay it forward. The scholarships are a grant in nature with the purpose of empowering LGBT business heroes and role models. These heroes will be giving back to the LGBT community and the recipients are required to add value to the LGBT (business) community; with recipients having personalised action plans built into their scholarship agreements.
When applying for scholarships in subsequent years, recipients will be asked what difference they were able to make in the LGBT community from having had the scholarship.
What are the rules?
The following rules apply to the scholarships:
- funds will be paid directly to the education institution for fees and related expenses. Any balance (up to 20%) of the scholarship can be applied towards learning aids such as books, internet access and study materials.
- acceptable achievements in academics (eg: 70%) and community service is required in order to qualify recipients for scholarships for subsequent years of study.
- if recipients fail to successfully complete their course of study, then the scholarship will convert to a loan and become repayable to Shambhala.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to deserving candidates who are able to demonstrate their suitability and fit with the objectives of The Shambhala Organisation. The Shambhala Organisation reserves the right to change the number and value of scholarships awarded where it deems it necessary.
How do I apply?
This is how to apply for one of the scholarships:
- Complete the application form electronically.
- Essay questions are used to evaluate you in terms of the scoring criteria.
- Supporting documents are to include your CV (max 2 pages), ID Book, details of the proposed course (including pricing) and evidence of your achievements and / or claims in the essays.
- Email all documents to email@example.com
What are the deadlines?
Only deserving candidates will be awarded scholarships.
We regret that all of the scholarships for 2017 have already been allocated to candidates.