Shambhala Scholarships enables further study to improve your business leadership skills
Gaypreneur? LGBT Business owner wanting to build your business by studying further? Want to study further, part-time or full time, to improve your business management skills?
LGBT business professional wanting to study further to improve your career prospects? Or are you a future LGBT business leader?
Applications are now open for scholarships for LGBT leaders (and future leaders) who wish to study further. There are ten R25,000 scholarships available for studies in 2017. LGBT people from all fields of study and at all levels (undergrad, post-grad or part-time) are invited to apply.
Scholarships are awarded to LGBT leaders to further their studies to help them improve their performance in the business world.
The committee will be looking at criteria including: natural leadership qualities; evidence of contributing to the LGBT community; ability to achieve great things; and the likelihood of promoting The Shambhala Organisation.
The scholarships help proud LGBT individuals build their foundation for business success.
How many scholarships are there?
Six scholarships were awarded for the 2015 academic year and 11 for the 2016 academic year.
There are ten R 25, 000 (Twenty five thousand rand) scholarships available for the 2017 academic year. Applications are now open. Students from all fields of study are invited to apply, just demonstrate your leadership capabilities. Click here to download the application form.
How do we choose recipients?
The scholarships are available for undergrad, post-grad or part time studies where the chosen field of study will help the candidate to improve their business leadership skills. There are no set rules about the study and the students are to motivate why their chosen field of study fits with the organisation's objectives.
Students who demonstrate leadership, with the best motivation and greatest potential will gain preference during the selection process.
The committee will be looking at the following criteria:
- Natural leadership qualities,
- Evidence of activism (#DoSomething),
- Ability to achieve great things, and
- The likelihood of promoting The Shambhala Organisation.
Why the community service?
Pay it forward. The scholarships are a grant in nature with the purpose of empowering LGBT business heroes. These heroes will be giving back to the LGBT community and the recipients are required to do community service; with recipients having personalised action plans built into their scholarship agreements.
When applying for scholarships in subsequent years, recipients will be asked what difference they were able to make in the LGBT community from having had the scholarship.
What are the rules?
The following rules apply to the scholarships:
- funds will be paid directly to the education institution for fees and related expenses. Any balance (up to 20%) of the scholarship can be applied towards learning aids such as books, internet access and materials.
- acceptable performance in academics (eg: 70%) and community service is required in order to qualify recipients for scholarships for subsequent years of study.
- if recipients fail to complete their intended course of study, then the scholarship will convert to a loan and become repayable to Shambhala.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to deserving candidates who are able to demonstrate their suitability and fit with the objectives of The Shambhala Organisation. The Shambhala Organisation reserves the right to change the number and value of scholarships awarded where it deems it necessary.
How do I apply?
This is how to apply for one of the scholarships:
- Complete the application form electronically or in handwriting and scan the form.
- Answer the essay questions (between 300 and 500 words per answer). Answers to the essay questions should be typed. You need to demonstrate your leadership qualities, history of contributing to the LGBT community and your potential to achieve great things in your essay answers. This is where you get to convince us of your leadership potential.
- Supporting documents are to include your CV (max 2 pages), ID Book and full academic transcripts.
- Email all documents to email@example.com
What are the deadlines?
Only deserving candidates will be awarded scholarships.
Applications for undergraduate studies should be received before the 30 November 2016 to meet the deadlines for your institutions. Applications for part-time studies should be received at least 1 month prior to the course, and deserving candidates are accepted until all 10 scholarships for 2017 have been awarded.
Short listed candidates will be interviewed via Skype by a members of the selection committee.